Welcome to your source of information about landslides in New Zealand.  This site summarises all you need to know in order to be prepared for a landslide, and what to do if one occurs.

Check out the “Find out more” links for the most important information for homeowners.

If you are concerned about a slip affecting your home firstly make sure you and your family are safe.  If there’s an immediate risk to life or an occupied building, evacuate, warn your neighbours, and dial 111.

If in doubt, get out.

To find out how to report a slip, detailed instructions are here.

Auckland Storm Update

Despite the recent dry weather, any rain can result in new landslides occurring or – more likely – existing landslides could reactivate or get larger.

Properties next to, above or below properties affected by existing landslides may be at increased risk of further landslides. In many areas cliff top properties with existing landslides may encounter further damage.

If your house has a red “entry prohibited” placard, ensure you’re following the requirement to stay out.

If your house has a yellow “restricted access” placard, follow the restrictions given on the placard and seriously consider avoiding any entry for the duration of the event.

If your house is next to a property with a placard, or if you see any signs of instability, or if you are concerned about the stability of the land around your house, we recommend you are extra cautious during this likely severe weather event. Consider finding alternative accommodation during heavy rain.  

The warning signs to look for:

  • new cracking in the ground around your house  
  • recent movement such as leaning power poles, trees, and retaining walls 
  • muddy water flowing down slopes or springs forming
  • loss of power or other utilities 
  • new cracks appearing inside the house eg, in gib/plaster, tiles 
  • jamming doors and windows can be a warning sign but are common in humid conditions, so if this occurs look for other warning signs 
  • unusual sounds such as trees cracking, rumbling or rocks falling or knocking together 
  • pavements sinking or finding new rocks, soil, or other debris on or around your house and property. 

Sources of information

The study and remediation of landslides are part of the discipline of engineering geology. If you need professional advice it is recommended that you contact a registered Professional Engineering Geologist or a Chartered Engineer specialising in geotechnical engineering. Find out more here.

You can find out more about engineering geology and geotechnical engineering here.