Significant amounts of data are being collected as part of the response to Cyclone Gabrielle. Sharing this can significantly improve our ability to quickly recover. If you have any data (e.g. LiDAR, aerial photography etc) that would be useful to engineers and geologists assessing risks, insurers, asset owners etc please contact us and we’ll try and find a way to share it.
Please note that in the interests of timely sharing we’re not doing internal quality assurance checks on this – please check it’s suitable for your intended purpose.
No generic data is available yet on this site
- OneDrive repository: 2023 landslide data sharing including
- Raw LiDAR files for Muriwai, Piha, Karekare (19 Feb 2023)
- Georeferenced oblique photographs of the entire coastline post 27 Jan
- Georeferenced oblique photographs of many inland landslides
- Tiled vertical aerial images of Muriwai, Piha, Karekare (19 Feb 2023)
- Drone images from Muriwai & Piha (multiple flight dates)
- …in the near future we will add LiDAR from West Auckland (Titirangi to Scenic Drive) and multiple road landslide locations, as well as repeat flights for Muriwai, Piha & Karakare
- Muriwai 3D model from drone (17 Feb 2023) – https://cloud.pix4d.com/dataset/1434136/model?shareToken=bf626548-5605-44fb-aae1-3fe0bd4b2ee8
- Muriwai / Piha / Karekare 3D viewer using aerial photography and LiDAR data from 18 Feb 2023 – https://aucklandcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/home/webscene/viewer.html?webscene=61d0d678d6714b19abfc544445b101b7
Using LAS files. If the LAS files are too large, this advice from Harry Follas may be useful:
Use a program called Lasmerge.exe to split the file (name is a bit counter-intuitive because it can also split LAS or LAZ LiDAR files!) some information about it is here https://rapidlasso.com/lastools/lasmerge/
The standalone *.exe file is not that easy to find, however it can be downloaded here… https://www.pconlife.com/viewfileinfo/lasmerge-exe/ Its a simple DOS like program, I have found that be putting both the exe and the LiDAR file into the directory you wish to create the new split files works best.